Hey, paisanos! We warp back to 1989 for a double dose of Christmas segments from “The Super Mario Bros. Super Show” — the live-action “Santa Claus is Coming to Flatbush,” featuring Santa losing his “transportation” in Brooklyn; and the animated “Koopa Klaus,” featuring a plot to… freeze the North Pole.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), tiny selfish mushroom baby.
- Adam Pope (@hojukoolander), another fun guy, fresh out of Retro Detention, from Retro-Daze and The Retro Network.
Topics and Tangents
- Nintendo Power’s Preview of “The Super Mario Bros. Super Show,” as tweeted by Adam, and preserved on the Internet Archive (for now) (it’s on page 93).
- I didn’t realize till recently the music in the “Back to the Future” Nintendo game is a sped up version of “The Power of Love.”
- “King Koopa’s Kool Kartoons,” a live-in-studio spinoff show local to Los Angeles and hosted by King Koopa, performed at one point by Christopher Collins, the voice of Cobra Commander.
- Captain Lou Albano’s Wrestling Hotline 1-900 number.
- We map out where Mario and Luigi lived in Brooklyn.
- “Stunt Dawgs,” an obscure 1992 cartoon featuring Harvey Atkin playing another character with the same King Koopa voice.
- A brief discussion on the term “teeter-totter,” used by Mario here, versus “see-saw.”
- How tall is Mario? Captain Lou was 5-foot-10, though other sources range from 5-foot-1 to 3-foot-8.
- Preview of Super Nintendo World, coming to Universal theme parks.
- Finally, I get to talk at length about The Legend of Zelda!
- Adam’s SequelQuest episode on the “Super Mario Bros.” movie, featuring a parody of the Super Show theme song.
Previous Podcast Episodes Mentioned
“The Super Mario Bros. Super Show,” “Koopa Klaus,” and “Santa Claus is Coming to Flatbush” © 1989 DiC Entertainment.
“Super Mario Bros.” © Nintendo Co. Ltd.
- Pepsi Nintendo Holiday Game Commercial, 1989, preserved by Dinosaur Dracula.
- Nintendo Power Commercial, 1990, preserved by RobertDigitalGames.