Hello, sunshine! We hop back to Easter 1986 to revisit the Jim Henson special “The Tale of the Bunny Picnic,” which is about neither Easter, nor a bunny picnic, but it did introduce Bean Bunny, the Muppets’ Nermal.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), giant mutant farmer who apparently knows a great recipe for a hypoallergenic stew.
- Emily Rowley (@mlerowley), who answered the Who I’d Like to Meet field of her old MySpace profile with “Bean Bunny.”
Topics and Tangents
- Jim Henson’s original introduction to “The Tale of the Bunny Picnic.”.
- “The Jim Henson Hour.”
- Bean Bunny is still around at Muppet*Vision 3D in Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- Bean Bunny was also a late-series addition to “Muppet Babies.” His picture is on the playroom wall in Disney’s new “Muppet Babies” show.
- “The Muppet Musicians of Bremen” and its grotesque, full-size Muppet bad guys.
- Sweetums in “Tales from Muppetland: The Frog Prince,” in example.
- Bean trying to tell the other bunnies to quiet down or the dog will hear them is also the plot of the first act of “Trolls.”
- Every Easter Bunny costume is terrifying.
- Y’all remember Puffalumps? You do now.
- The Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta is home to several Muppets from this special, including both Bean and his Dragon Bunny form from his dream sequence.
- Friend of the show Carlin Trammel’s Video Tour of the Center for Puppetry Arts’ Jim Henson exhibit.
Previous Podcast Episodes Mentioned
- A Muppet Family Christmas (Season 1, Episode 2)
- Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas (Season 2, Episode 16)
“The Tale of the Bunny Picnic” © 1986 Henson Associates.
Commercial Break: Muppet Babies Holiday Huggables from McDonald’s, 1988.