Advent Calendar House: Mickey’s Christmas Carol
Season 3 of the Advent Calendar House kicks off with a new regular feature: Scrooge Sunday, celebrating the many adaptations of “A Christmas Carol.” We begin with Disney’s 1983 featurette, “Mickey’s Christmas Carol,” marking the big-screen debut of Scrooge McDuck playing his namesake.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), feast founder and distasteful little miser.
- Lizzie Twachtman (@twtaboutLizzie), from Random Chatter and Bow Chicka Podcast.
- Adam Pope (@hojukoolander), from the SequelQuest and 2 Goofs podcasts, and Retro-Daze’s Retro Detention.
Topics and Tangents
- Watch “Mickey’s Christmas Carol” on Disney+.
- Almost all of this film is hiding at the end of “Mickey’s Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse.”
- Adam’s well-preserved VHS copy.
- A 1974 Disneyland Records LP called “Dickens’ Christmas Carol” predates the film by nearly a decade, complete with Alan Young’s first recording as the voice of Scrooge.
- Mickey Mouse’s very detailed, fanmade family tree.
- Siskel and Ebert’s review gave “Mickey’s Christmas Carol” 2 thumbs down.
- Goofy as Marley’s ghost, as seen in Disneyland.
- “Mickey’s Christmas Carol” animated window displays along Main Street U.S.A. in the Magic Kingdom.
- We identify every Disney background character at Fezziwig’s party and lament the absence of Pluto from this entire thing.
- Quick shout-outs to “Totally Minnie” and “Disney’s DTV Romancin’” Valentine special.
- Willie the Giant as the Ghost of Christmas Present carefully wandering through the tiny streets of London calls back to the ending scene of “Fun and Fancy Free,” Disney’s 1947 package film featuring “Mickey and the Beanstalk,” which is also on Disney+.
- Your now-annual reminder that Pete has been a cat this entire time.
Previous Episodes of This Podcast Mentioned
- Season 2, Episode 2: The Star Wars Holiday Special
- Season 2, Episode 15: Saved by the Bell: Home for Christmas
- Season 2, Episode 19: Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas
- Season 2, Episode 20: Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas
Mickey’s Christmas Carol ©1983 Disney.
Opening Music: “Christmas Was Better in the ’80s” by The Futureheads, ©2010 Nul Records.