Advent Calendar House: Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
Day 24: It’s the Season 2 finale! We bring Advent to a close with the first Christmas special I ever remember watching, 1978’s Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.
On this episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), a sometimes-food enthusiast with a taste for rotary phones.
- Erin Evans (@mserinmevans), a tiny figure skater dancing to the slowest, clumsiest rendition of Feliz Navidad.
- Joey O. (@ImGonnaDJ24), an obsessive vampire with the world’s greatest ice-skating cape, from Y-Not Radio and Words with Nerds.
Topics and tangents
- My taped copy of this is interrupted in the middle by a WHYY telethon with Philadelphia TV legend Ed Cunningham.
- The Count’s amazing ice-skating cape.
- The wibbly-wobbly physics of Oscar’s trash can.
- Olivia married the Predator.
- The subway ride reveals an actual clue into how to get to Sesame Street.
- A cameo by the seldom remembered Mr. Macintosh, usually a fruit vendor, here selling Christmas trees.
- If you want to go read about Northern Calloway (David) and his off-screen troubles and tragic death, go right ahead.
- The adorable 2-year-old girl too little for her own vocabulary trying to explain that Santa pushes a magic button to go down chimneys is now in her 40s.
- That time Big Bird got lost in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and got everyone locked inside overnight in Don’t Eat the Pictures.
- An oral history of Mr. Snuffleupagus’s revelation as not imaginary.
- Oscar holds a broom like it’s Not His Broom.
- Ernie’s pajamas look like the background of the “Trololo” video.
- Joey makes my Christmas by assuring me I didn’t imagine The Candy Apple News Company.
Previous episodes of this podcast mentioned
- S1E2: A Muppet Family Christmas
- S2E8: John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together
- S2E15: Saved by the Bell: Home for Christmas
- S2E16: Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas
- S2E21: Pee-wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special
After this episode
Go relax or take a nap or something. Hope you enjoy your Christmas!