We’re slowly slinking sideways back to 1983 to celebrate the time someone literally threw an idea at the wall to see if it would stick. It’s “Deck the Halls with Wacky Walls,” an animated Christmas special about Wacky WallWalkers. But first, we need to talk about the man behind the WallWalkers, Dr. Fad.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), grown man who’ll gladly pay a child $200 to trim the top of a giant pine tree.
- Joey O. (@ImGonnaDJ24), celestial cephalopod who can’t stop getting his feet stuck to things, from Y-Not Radio and Words With Nerds.
Topics and Tangents
- “The Dr. Fad Show.”
- Eight ’80s Xmas Specials You Might’ve Forgotten, from Dinosaur Dracula.
- X-Entertainment’s preserved 2003 tribute to the Wacky WallWalker.
- This isn’t the right Apple Jacks commercial, but I can’t not mention young Julia Stiles scoffing that it doesn’t taste like apples.
- Writer Mark Evanier’s blog. Evanier was also the lead writer on “Garfield and Friends,” and author of the Jacky Kirby biography “Kirby: King of Comics.”
- The WallWalkers’ home planet looks like an M.C. Escher painting.
- Darryl is voiced by Scott Menville, best known now as Robin in “Teen Titans,” in one of his earliest roles.
- Darryl’s friend, Kenzo, is named after one of Dr. Fad’s sons. His other son is married to comedian and “Tuca and Bertie” co-star and executive producer Ali Wong.
- The most expensive things we’ve asked for from our parents for Christmas, which pale in comparison to a $1,000 toy car — which, of course, we then look up its adjustment for inflation.
- Waxing nostalgic about popcorn garland on Christmas trees.
Previous Podcast Episodes Mentioned
- ’Twas the Night Before Christmas (Season 2, Episode 3)
- Will Vinton’s Claymation Christmas Celebration (Season 2, Episode 7)
- He-Man/She-Ra: A Christmas Special (Season 2, Episode 18)
“Deck the Halls with Wacky Walls” © 1983 NBC Productions.
“The Dr. Fad Show” © 1988 Tradex Corp.
Commercial Break: Corn Pops Cereal with free Wacky WallWalker inside, 1984.