July 5, 2020, means another Scrooge Sunday episode of the Advent Calendar House, as we’re swept through a rip in the space-time continuum back to 1986 for a Christmas Carol-themed episode of “The Real Ghostbusters,” who accidentally save Scrooge from the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future in “Xmas Marks the Spot.”
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), something weird, and I don’t look good.
- Tom Coombs (@ClassicTomedy), the something strange in your neighborhood Ray Parker Jr. warned you about, from TPIF: Thank Pod It’s Funny.
- Chad “Ecto” Young (@horrormoviebbq) from the Horror Movie BBQ and TPIF.
Topics and Tangents
- Hey, grown-ups! Remember getting lost while driving when we didn’t all have maps of the entire planet in our pockets?
- Scrooge pays the Ghostbusters a mint-condition shilling from 1837, so we looked up its actual value.
- The time vortex in this episode shares tiny similarities with how time travel works in both “Back to the Future Part 2” and “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure,” both of which were released 3 years later.
- You can actually buy Christmas Carol View Master reels from the 1950s online.
- Rick and Morty talking about Bill Murray and Lorenzo Music comes up and goes… somewhere.
- Egon entering the ghost containment unit looks like the warp tunnel on Space Mountain.
- The other ghosts in the containment unit are callbacks to previous episodes, including Sandman, who bears a passing resemblance to the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.
- Santa should not laugh like Megatron.
Previous Podcast Episodes Mentioned
- Saved by the Bell: Home for Christmas (Season 2, Episode 15)
- A Pinky and the Brain Christmas (Season 2, Episode 17)
- Pee-wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special (Season 2, Episode 21)
- A Wish for Wings That Work (Season 3, Episode 3)
- The Glo Friends Save Christmas (Season 3, Episode 6)
“The Real Ghostbusters” and “Xmas Marks the Spot” © 1986 Columbia Pictures Television.