Rankin/Bass’s Avengers assemble in 1979’s “Rudolph and Frosty’s Christmas in July.” The studio’s longest holiday special ever opens with the shine on Rudolph’s nose blipping out of existence, and what happens to Frosty and his whole family is worse.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), formerly reduced to a puddle and then brought back to life but only up to my chest.
- Brandon Medley (@brandmed), the human embodiment of the Aurora Borealis, at this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely on my podcast, from Star Weirdos.
Topics and Tangents
- Frosty’s a dad! And Rudolph’s a fake uncle!
- King Winterbolt’s genie of the ice scepter, allegedly Thurl Ravenscroft, is the stuff of nightmares.
- “The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus” may be the most metal Christmas special, but this is a contender.
- Rudolph’s entire story gets retconned into a long play to stop Winterbolt’s foggy Christmas Eve from grounding Santa.
- Ethel Merman on “The Muppet Show.”
- Scratcher is a great evil reindeer, but we’d like it better if he was Fireball.
- A couple of songs were cut for time from TV, including:
- Walt Disney World’s Candlelight Processional, in example.
- A depressed Rudolph sticks his nose in glitter at one point, and we have questions.
- This special robbed us of seeing an army of evil Frosty clones.
Previous Podcast Episodes Mentioned
- Frosty the Snowman (Season 1, Episode 1)
- The First Easter Rabbit (Season 1, Bonus)
- ’Twas the Night Before Christmas (Season 2, Episode 3)
- The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (Season 2, Episode 5)
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Season 3, Episode 12)
- Rudolph’s Shiny New Year (Season 3, Bonus)
- Frosty’s Winter Wonderland (Season 4, Episode 1)
“Rudolph and Frosty’s Christmas in July” © 1979 Rankin/Bass Productions.