On a very wound-up and thrown out into a pile of junk in another dimension episode of the Advent Calendar House, we set our sentient clocks back to 1988 for “Christmas in Tattertown,” the holiday brain-child Ralph Bakshi and the first-ever animated TV show made exclusively for Nickelodeon.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), discarded child’s plaything.
- Chad Young (@horrormoviebbq), smooth-talking saxophone who finally put on those sunglasses that make him see the world around him for what it truly is, from the Horror Movie BBQ.
Topics and Tangents
- “Christmas in Tattertown” info and sketches from Bakshi Productions.
- “Christmas in Tattertown” review on Nick Knacks, a show-by-show retrospective on Nickelodeon.
- Muffet initially appears to be the victim, much like the other guy, actually named Guy, in Dr. Seuss’s “Green Eggs and Ham.”
- Cameo appearances by early Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks characters Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Flip the Frog, and later Popeye.
- A discussion about the TV trope of Debbie coming from the “real world.”
- A shout-out to the dearly departed Hollywood Video for staying open on Christmas Day for idiots like me who forgot to ask for required accessories like the Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak.
- I officially make the Wawa Holiday Gobbler hoagie a new Christmas Day tradition.
- Santa sure has a habit of flying over places where they’ve never heard of him.
- Another cameo by Bosko and Honey turns into a tangent about the “Tiny Toon Adventures” episode, “Fields of Honey.”
- A brief introduction to “snoap,” the fake snow seen falling at Walt Disney World and elsewhere around Florida.
Previous Episodes of This Podcast Mentioned
- Season 1, Bonus: The Adventures of the American Rabbit
- Season 2, Episode 11: Jingle Bell Rap
- Season 2, Episode 21: Pee-wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special
- Season 3, Episode 3: A Wish for Wings That Work
“Christmas in Tattertown” ©1988 Bakshi Productions, Inc.