Day 11: We dig down like dogs to the bottom of the VHS bargain bin for “Jingle Bell Rap,” an overlooked special from 1991 that had all the potential to become a Christmas classic, but none of the airtime.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), out-of-place freak Santa Claus who’s still human in a world full of talking dogs.
- Chad Young (@horrormoviebbq) of the Horror Movie BBQ and TPIF: Thank Pod It’s Funny.
About the Special
Topics and Tangents
- Chad’s on, so of course we talk about Roy Rogers.
- Fetch and Uncle Jesse are the “wise cowboy” archetype that replaced the wise janitor in the ’90s.
- It’s an early-’90s special with a rap in it, so here’s the comparison to that one Fruity Pebbles commercial.
- Shout-out to the Cult Film Club and “Plot in 60 Seconds.”
- In Rollover’s flashback, his dad looks like angry Homer Simpson.
- Ralph Wiggum’s heart breaks in slow motion.
- New Kids on the Block perform “Funky Funky Xmas” on Arsenio Hall.
Previous Episodes of This Podcast Mentioned
- Season 1, Bonus 2: The Adventures of the American Rabbit