Advent Calendar House: Jingle Bell Rap
Day 11: We dig down like dogs to the bottom of the VHS bargain bin for Jingle Bell Rap, an overlooked special from 1991 that had all the potential to become a Christmas classic, but none of the airtime.
On this episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), out-of-place freak Santa Claus who’s still human in a world full of talking dogs.
- Chad Young (@HorrorMovieBBQ) of the Horror Movie BBQ.
Topics and tangents
- Watch Jingle Bell Rap on Amazon Prime.
- Perennial Pictures’ webpage for Jingle Bell Rap.
- Chad’s on, so of course we talk about Roy Rogers.
- Fetch and Uncle Jesse are the “wise cowboy” archetype that replaced the wise janitor in the ’90s.
- It’s an early-’90s special about rap, so here’s the comparison to that one Fruity Pebbles commercial.
- Shout-out to the Cult Film Club and “Plot in 60 Seconds.”
- In Rollover’s flashback, his dad looks like angry Homer Simpson.
- Ralph Wiggum’s heart breaks in slow motion.
- New Kids on the Block perform Funky Funky Xmas on Arsenio Hall.