Advent Calendar House: McDonald’s Holiday Commercials
Day 10: Lace up your ice skates for a look at 3 classic McDonald’s holiday commercials starring the fast food chain’s clown in charge.
On this episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), a hand-animated woodland owl delighted to see a fast food mascot in my front yard.
- Joey O. (@ImGonnaDJ24), from Y-Not Radio and Words with Nerds.
Topics and tangents
- Grape jelly is good on Sausage McMuffins. Don’t @ me.
- McDonald’s Wiki, which of course exists, runs down all 7 versions of the “Happy Holidays” ice-skating commercial.
Yes, there are seven edits of this one classic commercial, and they’re all on YouTube:
- 1982 – the original, with King Moody as Ronald and the “You Deserve a Break Today” jingle variant.
- 1983 – with the “McDonald’s and You” jingle variant.
- 1984 – with the “It’s a Good Time for the Great Taste” jingle variant.
- 1986 – with Squire Fridell as Ronald, the version I remember most.
- 1988 – with Fridell and the original jingle.
- 1990 – with Fridell and the “Food, Folks and Fun” jingle variant.
- 1991 – with Jack Doepke as Ronald, bad lighting, and The Wish that Changed Christmas.
- Star Wish commercial.
- Runaway commercial.
- King Booker, in example.
- Squire Fridell as Ronald McDonald in Mac and Me.
- Paul Rudd’s ongoing Mac and Me prank on Conan O’Brien.
- Grimace’s last appearance was at Dodger Stadium, though as we know, nothing can kill the Grimace.
- The self-proclaimed “World’s Largest Entertainment McDonald’s,” now known as “Epic McD,” in Orlando, Florida, is home to an animatronic Mac Tonight that hangs from the ceiling.