Advent Calendar House: John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together
Day 8: We blur the lines of reality, time, and space and practice peace on Earth and good will to men, women, chickens, bears, and Dizzy Gillespie in the 1979 TV special, John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together.
On this episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), a wooden toy soldier who somehow qualified for foreign combat despite being unable to stay in formation.
- Bill Hanstock (@sundownmotel), freelance editor, writer, and producer published on SBNation, UPROXX, and some old baby poop color website called Progressive Boink.
- Carlin Trammel (@nerdlunch), co-host of the Nerd Lunch and Dragonfly Ripple podcasts.
Topics and tangents
- Bill’s Uncle Deadly tattoo.
- Former WWE Superstar and Muppets Most Wanted cast member Hornswoggle’s Tattoo Tribute to the Muppets.
- The Muppet Show Season 4 DVD promised at Disney’s 2009 D23 Expo, but never came.
- Miss Piggy brings a sex joke, lest we forget the pilot of the Muppet Show was called Sex and Violence.
- John Denver’s linear notes for the 1996 re-release of the album, citing the Muppets as an inspiration for writing Alfie, the Christmas Tree.
- A Baby Just Like You is one endpoint of the John Denver Christmas song spectrum. The other endpoint is Please Daddy (Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas).
- A brief examination of the logistics behind Rowlf’s piano playing.
- John Denver’s rider absolutely included a scheduled constitutional into the woods.
- The only inclusion of I Will Wait for You sadder than Miss Piggy’s: Futurama.
- Jesus Christ has His own entry on Muppet Wiki.
- John’s son, Zachary: In the audience during Silent Night, and and at his father’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star ceremony in 2014.
- Jerry Nelson and Louise Gold singing When the River Meets the Sea at Jim Henson’s Memorial in 1990.
Previous episodes of this podcast mentioned
After this episode
- Listen to Bill and our friend, Pete, on Scientific Podcast Goes Boink remembering Jim Henson.